February 2019

Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales

Title: Necronomicon 

Author: H.P Lovecraft

Number of Pages: 878

Read 118/878

Rating: 5/5

Image result for complete collection of edgar allen poe

Title: The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allen Poe 

Author: Edgar Allen Poe

Number of Pages: 144

Rating: 5/5

Mansfield Park

Title: Mansfield Park 

Author: Jane Austin

Number of Pages: 507

Rating: 3/5

The Great Gatsby

Title: The Great Gatsby

Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald

Number of Pages: 180

Rating: 5/5

Reflection:

I think this month was a really good month of reading for me. I got above my goal of reading at least two books and ended up reading four (even though I didn’t finish Necronomicon), also I really enjoyed most of the books I read this month so all in all it was a good  month.

I was really excited to start reading Necronomicon just because I have always loved H.P Lovecraft’s writing and it is what inspired my Free Choice The Missing Children of Greenwich. Out of what I have read so far I can tell that Lovecraft uses a lot of techniques in his writing that add to the dark atmosphere of his stories and I have been so inspired by him to write fiction and specifically horror, which is something I haven’t really experimented with in the past. This book has really made an impact on me in terms of inspiration and I can’t wait to continue reading it.

Edgar Allen Poe is mainly known for all of his fiction works so I decided to delve a little deeper into his poetry by getting a collection of his poetry. I mostly read very contemporary poetry that has a theme of minimalism and simplicity through word choice and I found myself really enjoying Poe’s story telling though poetry. I found his style very unique from any other poetry I have read and  again I found myself being inspired by this style of poetry so I think that I am going to incorporate more of a a plot line in my poetry and see if I can challenge myself with that in the future.

I decided to read The Great Gatsby again this month because wanted to push myself to get a few more pages in this month, and since I remember really enjoying this the first time I read it I decide to read it again. I found that this time when I read it I understood it better in the way that I understood the underlying themes of materialism and the class system better. I appreciate this book way more now that I have deeper understanding of its characters and plot line that I didn’t really have the first time I read it in grade 11.

This Month:

Pages Read in Total: 1,019

Pages Per Week: 255

Pages Per Day: 36

Goal: For next month I want to keep going on the same track and maybe even try to do 40 pages per day.